Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day is for the Birds

(Birdbath, NYC)


My friend Cris and I have a tradition of meeting every couple weeks to have dinner in Manhattan. We take turns picking the restaurants, our goal being to try a new, well-reviewed (but inexpensive) ethnic cuisine every time. Relying on Menupages, Yelp, and Citysearch, we have yet to be disappointed.

Last night, we attempted to try some authentic Spanish tapas at Las Ramblas, but--being Valentine's Day--it was completely packed. Damn couples. We didn't particularly feel like waiting, so we decided to roam the West Village in hopes of finding something equally good. We serendipitously came across Po and took it as a sign that there happened to be one (just one!) table available: a cozy one in the corner. We ordered a bottle of 2007 Colle Ticchio Cesanese del Piglio (it had been a long day at work) and perused the menu. Though I fancy myself a quasi-vegetarian, I ended up choosing the grilled guinea hen with pumpkin and scallion fregula with saba (still trying to figure out what the hell saba is), and Cris, the veal sweetbread hash. My dish (the sauce especially) was fantastic, and I think Cris enjoyed his as well.

And what is a delicious dinner without dessert? Heck, it's the whole point of this blog. Well, we decided on Birdbath for cookies. I had been there once before and had really enjoyed my organic oatmeal raisin cookie and coffee while my friend, Leslie and I chatted with the other folks in the store. Something I wouldn't ever feel comfortable doing on my own--but Leslie is definitely a character and has a knack for getting people to open up. On my visit with Cris, I chose an organic peanut butter cookie, and he bought a heart-shaped raspberry linzer one.

My cookie was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the oatmeal raisin. Its consistency was very different. It wasn't creamy but rather powdery. It almost dissolved in my mouth. But it definitely tasted thoroughly peanut buttery. Au natural! The linzer was better. The fruit jam was sweet and smooth, the cookie flakey (very flakey), and the powdered sugar dusting perfect.

I am going to have to hire Cris, an incredible photographer (he always has a camera on him), to start taking pics of our desserts to post on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment