Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Holy Cannoli!


Ah, cannoli. Tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough, filled with sweet and creamy flavored ricotta cheese. Cheese?! Yes, cheese. Thankfully I had my first cannolo (the singular form of the word) before I knew it included this important ingredient, or I would have surely been dissuaded from trying one. I'm not a big fan of cheese, with the exception of those belonging to the sharper variety (i.e. cheddar). I have somewhat of an aversion to cold and mushy foods: bananas (unless they're baked in bread), Jello, puddings, yogurt, and most definitely softer cheeses like brie. (I love ice cream and cheesecake, however--although I suppose that is not a surprise.)

I had my first cannolo after having dinner with friends in the Little Italy of the Bronx: Arthur Avenue. What an introduction! A sweet, crispy, flaky shell surrounding a wonderfully sweet, yet slightly tangy cheese filling in which dark chocolate chips swam.

I had my second cannolo today, from a bakery in the Morris Park area of the Bronx: a little Little Italy. The filling was creamier, sweeter, and more smooth (better, overall) but lacked those delicious chocolate bits. The shell was just as delectable, though. I think what I love most about the Italian treat is the contrast of crispy and creamy. What more can you want out of a dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment